Chicken & White Bean Chili
- 4 Cups Bell & Evans Chicken Tenders or Thin Sliced Breasts, cooked & shredded
- 1 lb. Dried small white beans
- 8 Fresh Anaheim chilies (about 1 lb)
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) Butter
- 2 Lg Onions
- 1/3 Cup All-purpose flour
- 4 Cups Chicken broth
- 3 Cups Half and half
- 2 Medium tomatoes, diced and seeded
- 1 TB each Chili powder and cumin
- 1 TB Hot pepper sauce
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- 1 1/2 grated Monterey Jack cheese (6 oz)
- 1 Cup Sour cream
- Chopped Fresh cilantro to taste
- Place beans in heavy large pot with enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches. Let stand overnight. Char chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag and let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop chilies. Set aside.
- Drain beans. Return to pot. Add enough cold water to pot to cover beans by 3 inches. Simmer until beans are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Drain well.
- Melt butter in clean heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 15 minutes. Add flour and stir 5 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half and half.
- Simmer gently until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add reserved white beans and roasted chilies, shredded chicken, diced tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Simmer gently to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
- Note: Chili can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before continuing.
- Add grated cheese and sour cream to chill; stir just until chili is heated through and cheese melts. Do not boil.
- Ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro and grated cheese. Serve hot.
Click here for more great Bell & Evans recipes.